It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebuilding the Wizards Franchise
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 am 

Hello,

This will be my first real attempt at a dynasty within the game and I decided to write down a bit in the process. I am taking the Wizards in a soon starting online league and have played around a little in single player already but never really seriously. I figured it would be interesting to see how single player and online compare so I will do a proper run of the Wizards.

I did pretty standard settings. My coach's preferred skills are 3pt Shooting, Passing and Post Defense.

The first thing I knew taking over the Wizards was that they are absolutely terrible and it will take quite a bit of work to rebuild them. The financial situation isnt ideal either. I started with free agency but just simulated through it since my financial situation is already bad. I also declined team options for Chris Singleton and Jan Vesely.

The starting roster for season one is:

C Emeka Okafor
C Earl Barron (injured in preseason)
C Trevor Booker
C Jan Vesely (deactivated)
PF Nene Hilario
PF Kevin Seraphin
SF Trevor Eliza
SF Martell Webster
SF Cartier Martin
SF Chris Singleton
SG Bradley Beal
SG Jordan Crawford
PG John Wall
PG Shaun Livingston
PF A.J. Price

The contracts to Okafor and Nene are a bit heavy, considering that they are not going to produce as much as you would hope for that money. Backcourt with Wall and Beal is obviously important and given the Rebuilding process, those will be important to keep. It is a generally young team all around, but still a lot of work to do.

I did try to make some trades happen before the season, especially with Okafor. However, I really did not find anything to do. Maybe it is still the inexperience with the game but yeah. I moved on eventually.

My gameplan will be to play a slow-pace kinda game and focus on 3 pointers and defense. Maybe that is not the right approach in the first season, but that is the kind of game I want to eventually make work.

I will coach all games myself and plan to use a wide range of players and give them minutes. I have a lot of younger players that I need to develop so they need to play some minutes.

Maybe I am stupid and someone can help me, but I dont really see a feature like a trade block where I could place some guys on. That would certainly be interesting.

Anyway, with that, let's start the first game:

I am playing in Portland. Already a big thriller. After being down essentially all game and almost getting ready to put in the really young guys at the end of the bench, I get a bit of a run by some bench players and get close again. I think at one point I was down by 15 or so. I got a lot of rebounds but had a lot of turnovers. Eventually I was close enough to tie the game in the last second to force overtime. The first points in overtime come 2 minutes in when Wall hits a jumper. Defense has been good in this game. Nene fouls out in overtime having been in foul trouble all game but I took a gamble late in the game and in overtime. With 30 seconds left in overtime, I am down by 1 with the ball and call a timeout to bring my best team in despite some being tired. Despite being down by 1, Wall finds a wide open Beal on the right wing and the ball goes in for a three. Portland tries a 3 rushing down the court but its no good and my Wizards pull out a first upset in a way, given how far down I was!

Final score: 96-94

Additional notes: Okafor with a double double 13 points 12 rebounds. Martell Webster leading my team in points with 20.

Second game is against Houston and I decided to add that one as well before submitting since it is still in the same month. This will likely not be this detailed every single time haha.

Another big game for me. Maybe I titled this post wrong because I just went 2-0 in my first month. Final score: 114-101. Big game for a lot of guys, Wall had 21 points, 6 assists, 5 steals, 4 rebounds. Okafor 9 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists. Martell Webster with yet another big game from the bench as the 6th man, ends up with 17 and 5, making 5 of 7 three pointers.

Well, this is it for now, but I am sure I will update this soon. For now I gotta do some other things though. Would love to hear ideas or comments.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Wizards Franchise
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 am 

Quick update already: Before our next game I got a trade offer: Derrick Williams for Bradley Beal. Both are quite young, both have similar contracts. According to the game Beal is Yellow currently with Green talent and Williams has Green for both already. I decided to see if they would accept while adding their 1st round pick and they would. I am very tempted despite really liking Beal. I would add a 1st round pick and get a good player as well but thought that I would keep Beal for a while. I am unsure. Update later when I decide haha.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Wizards Franchise
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am 

After a few days of break, I am back. I played 2 more weeks. I ended up declining the trade offer since I like Beal a lot. I got a similar one for him involving Derrick Favors. I declined both. Sadly, Emeka Okafor got injured and will be out for about a month still. That really puts my Center position at a lack of talent.

I returned to a more typical record for the Wizards, standing at 4-5 right now. I am not unhappy since I want a top pick this year. I will use random drafts and I am already checking out some of the prospects, the top 5 seem quite strong. We shall see.

Things that I noticed looking at the stats so far:

Wall only at 5.3 Assists
Martell Webster coming off the bench with 12.6 points for second most for my team
Only three players with a positive +/- are Webster, Nene and Cartier Martin

I will continue to play today, so probably another update today.

Offline Profile