It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The alternate history of the NBA
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:27 pm 

Whenever I have games like this, I tend to become fully immersed. For games with a historical background, I get easily sidetracked, as I like to find out about these real people who I know very little about. So the purpose of this thread is to play through the game, starting as a 21 year old GM in 1946, of a randomly chosen team. I will have the NBA, ABA, and D League active. I will strictly be a GM, so all depth chart and game planning will be done by the CPU coach. I will be in charge of personnel decisions, and coaching hires.

Also, I will probably go into way too much detail, and get sidetracked giving real life details about these early players I have never heard of, with lots of images. If you are the TL;DR type, this thread will probably not be for you. But if you're like me, and you like learning more about the history of a sport, then you might find this interesting.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The alternate history of the NBA
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 pm 

1946 – Washington Capitols

I took over a team that wasn’t horrible by 1946 NBA standards. Plus, it was awfully nice of them to put the other cities in their logo. My best looking player (by talent, not actual looks) is Horace “Bones” McKinney, a 27 year old power forward who is a defensive and rebounding beast. At 6’6”, he has good size for this era.
McKinney started his college career at NC State, but was interrupted by WWII. After the war, he played at North Carolina, so he may be the only player in history to play for both schools. His post playing career was interesting as well. He coached at Wake Forest and in the ABA, was a preacher, and became addicted to booze and amphetamines. Quite the trifecta. Plus, he had a great quote. "The trouble with officials is they don't care who wins". I'm going to like this guy.

John Mahnken, a 24 year old center, is also a decent player. He’s a local kid from Georgetown. At 6’8”, he is one of the tallest players in the league.

The only other player that could be decent is PG Freddie Scolari. He’s also 24, but looks like he will be able to distribute the ball well to the big guys above, as well as drive to the hoop.
His nickname is “Fat Freddie”, although he doesn’t look fat in this picture. Also, he is blind in one eye and deaf in one year. Ladies and gentlemen, your starting point guard!

Our starting shooting guard is Francis “Buddy” O’Grady.
He also ended up coaching, at his alma mater, Georgetown.

Irv Torgoff rounds out our lineup. He was a legendary New York player back in the day when the NIT meant something. At 6’1”, he put the small in small forward. Welcome to pro basketball, 1946 style.

At the start of the season, there is only one free agent worth going after, Clarence Hermsen. Seven teams, including myself, enter a bidding war to make him the highest paid player in the league. The Toronto Huskies win his services.

We went 4-2 in the preseason. McKinney immediately sprains his knee in the opening game of the season and is out for a couple of weeks. The Celtics offer up Chuck Conner, the Rifleman, for Fat Freddie, but Freddie is our leading scorer, so I refuse. Teams are offering trades for both Freddie and Bob Gantt, our backup big man. Freddie is doing great, and I really lack size, so I reject them all. Plus, we are winning, and why mess up team chemistry? A 10-1 start has us in first place in the BAA. We finish December at 17-2. Then in January, we face our first adversity. Mahnken breaks his leg, and could be out for the season. I traded little used backup SF Al Negratti to Pittsburgh for PF Leo Mogus to help with the loss. Plus, his good looks may bring in more female fans.

We’re 28-4 at the all star break, but tied with Philadelphia for best record in the division and league, and only one game ahead of Pittsburgh in the west. McKinney, Torgoff, and Fat Freddie all make the all star team, as well as backup SG Marty Passaglia, with his awesome 6/4/1 line, based on the fact that there are no good guards in the league. Here’s Marty in his college days.

The end of February rewarded Fat Freddie player of the month, and we were barely in first with a 34-5 record. This is certainly a league of haves and have nots, as every team was either amazing or terrible. A 12 game winning streak left us at 46-6 going into the last month, with Mahnken starting to recover from his injury in time for the playoffs. We finished strong, and with a record of 54-6, we earned a bye to the conference championship, and home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

Our great record brought in a lot of individual honors. Backup SF Ben Goldfaden took over the starting job when Mahnken was injured, and won 2nd team all defense, and McKinney was the Defensive Player of the Year. Fat Freddie was all BAA first team with a 25.2/8.0/1.6 line, and Passaglia (5.8/4.1/1.2), Goldfaden (5.9/6.1/0.7), and McKinney (13.6/17.0/0.8 ) were all BAA third team. The league is obviously dominated by big men, and underwhelming guards. Fat Freddie led the league in scoring, shooting 29% in the process. Seriously, how do you lead the league in scoring shooting only 29%?!? His blind eye probably affected his shot, and he couldn't hear his coach in his bad ear yelling at him to quit jacking up so many bad shots. I love this guy! He was also second in assists. I think they scored assists differently back then. McKinney led the league in rebounding.

Here’s Goldfaden, since I have ignored him until now.
In real life, he quit basketball because he could make more money teaching junior high. Also, he just died a couple of months ago, and was the oldest living NBA player when he died at 99.

I won GM of the year, and our coach Morgan Cross won coach of the year. Joe Fulks from Philadelphia was the MVP. I’m ignoring rookie awards since everyone is a rookie.

We watched Philadelphia squeak by Toronto 3-2 in the first round to set up the Eastern Conference finals. We won the first two games at home by almost 40 points each, and won a tough game 3, but McKinney tweaked his knee in the victory. Philly barely avoided the sweep in game 4 with a limping McKinney, ending our 16 game winning streak. We crushed them in game 4 to go to the league finals.

Our opponent was the Chicago Stags, who upset Pittsburgh to make the finals. Their team sucks, and I am smelling championship. 20 and 35 point victories at home set the stage. Like before, we win a close game 3, but lose game 4 on a last second shot. Mahnken is injured in game 5, but it doesn’t matter as we win the inaugural championship behind playoff MVP McKinney, who averaged 15.0/16.7/1.4 during the playoffs. The entire team is signed for next season, so I think we can compete next year as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:00 pm 

1947 – Washington Capitols

The season starts out with Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Toronto all folding. Not a good start for our fledgling league. The league adds Baltimore to round out at eight teams, and give us a natural geographic rival. We get moved to the Western Conference, which sounds strange, but we are more west than Philadelphia, Boston, New York, and Providence. We join our new foes Baltimore, along with Chicago and St. Louis.

With all of the folded teams, there is some talent in the dispersal draft. Unfortunately, we pick last, so we won’t see any of it. I end up taking Harry Miller, a 23 year old PF from Toronto, who didn’t start last season, but played significant minutes off the bench. He looks to be a good defensive player.

However, we must expose a whopping 6 players to the expansion draft! Apparently, the commissioner wants to bring us back down to the level of the league, and help our rival in the process. I expose Mogus and his big contract, and little used players Al Lujack, Gene Gillette, Bob Feerick, and Johnny Norlander. I don’t want to expose anyone else, since I know they will get snagged, but finally decide on Bob Gantt. Of course, he is the first player taken.

We also pick last in the rookie draft, and with only 7 players worth looking at, this will be an exercise in futility. C Red Rocha from Oregon St. was the first player ever selected in the inaugural draft by Providence. I was surprised to see C **** Holub from Long Island make it to us, and I quickly picked him up. He should be a great shot blocker and solid rebounder for us. I couldn’t find a picture, but he is another good NYC player.

In the second round, and the last pick of the draft, I took SF Johnny Ezersky, a 26 year old from Rhode Island. He was one of the seven players with potential, so I was surprised he made it this far. I hope my scout is correct in seeing something in him nobody else does. He looks like he could be a good defensive stopper off the bench.

Since I already have 15 players on the roster, and nobody interesting is out there, I sleep through the free agent signing period. After winning the championship I increase ticket prices 10%, from $0.71 to $0.78. Gotta pay for all this talent somehow. At a little under $27K, we have the second lowest salary in the league, so I suspect the early season will involve a lot of trade offers by teams looking to dump salary.

Coach Cross keeps our starting lineup the same as last season, and why not? You can’t argue with success. O’Grady tore up his knee in the second preseason game, and will be shelved for a couple of months. We went through preseason at 4-2. We started out well at 5-0 when the Knicks offered SF Gene Vance for Mahnken. Vance was the #3 pick in the draft, and Mahnken wasn’t living up to his potential, so I pulled the trigger.

Vance and Holub are now both in the starting lineup. Vance immediately validated the trade by winning rookie of the month and player of the month for November. We continued winning, starting out 14-0 before our first loss. I think every team in the league was going after Fat Freddie, but there is no way I am trading my favorite player. We were at 17-3 in mid-January when I traded Harry Miller to Chicago for SF Paul Hoffman, their first round pick. Miller wasn’t playing, so I went ahead and took the youngster.

We sat at 21-4 at the all star break, and were well represented. Torgoff, Vance, McKinney, Fat Freddie, and Hoffman were all on the team. And then it happened. In the second game after the break, Fat Freddie, my leading scorer, broke his foot, and is out for two months. Those bones could only carry the weight for so long. This was followed shortly by a dislocated shoulder by Hoffman, and suddenly we were looking mortal. Everyone got healthy at the end of the season, and we ended up at 37-11, best record in the West, but one game behind Philadelphia in the East.

McKinney won his second straight defensive player of the year. Hoffman (14.7/7.3/1.2) and Holub (5.3/10.1/0.6) were on the rookie 2nd team, and Vance (14.4/4.7/0.7) was on the rookie 1st team. Torgoff (5.8/5.8/0.8 ) made BAA 3rd team because guards still suck. Hoffman made BAA 2nd team, and Vance and Fat Freddie (21.9/7.7/2.3) were first team. Freddie was second in the league in scoring and first in assists. McKinney led the league in rebounding again, and also blocked shots. Holub was second in blocks, and Ezersky was second in steals. Oh, and in case you were wondering, Freddie shot 26%. If he could have matched last year’s stellar 29%, he probably would have won his second scoring title. Joe Fulks won his second MVP. Andy Phillips, also from Philly, won Rookie of the Year. And good ol’ John Mahnken won most improved player for the Knicks. That was a trade that both teams were happy with.

We had another first round bye, and watched St. Louis upset Chicago 3-2. We lost our first game at home, but won game 2. Game 3 also went to Bombers, but we salvaged a split on the road in game 4 to tie the series. We took game 5 at home, and so far, none of the games have been very close. We finally closed them out in 6 to advance to the finals again.

Waiting for us was Philadelphia, fresh off of a sweep of the Knicks. If we want to repeat, we need to play a lot better. We got crushed by 32 in game 1, but stole a split in game 2. We won games 3 and 4 pretty easily at home, with a chance to win the championship on our home court. Fat Freddie cemented his status as fan favorite by pouring in 34 points on a blistering 32% shooting night, as we won our second championship in as many years. McKinney got playoff MVP once again.

We’re losing Gillette, Feerick, and Norlander after the season, but they played a combined 18 games this season, so I think we should still be good again, and have a chance for a three-peat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm 

1948 – Washington Capitols

Expansion is the name of the game, as four teams (Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Minneapolis and Rochester) joined the league. This caused us to move back to the Eastern Conference, along with Baltimore.

We were forced to expose 4 players for the expansion draft. I chose Mogus with his large contract once again, and Goldfaden and Lujack because they were unhappy, and didn’t look like they will get any playing time this year either. The last pick was tough, because I know this is the player I will lose. I ended up exposing O’Grady. We got lucky, and the Indianapolis Jets took Lujack with the second pick.

With all the new teams, we have the 11th pick in both rounds of the rookie draft. George Mikan went first to Providence, and they will be a force this year. I chose PF Dillard Crocker out of Western Michigan. He looks like a good all around player. A google search for a picture turns up a bunch of gravestones. I hope this isn’t a sign.

With our second round pick, I took SF George Kaftan out of Holy Cross. Another guy who is an all around type of player. Even though he is 6’3”, he played center in college.

Hey look, video!
http://www.ncaa.com/video#!basketball-men/2012-11-08/all-time-players-george-kaftan

Once again, nobody in free agency looks worth spending any money on, so I skip it. I raise ticket prices to $0.86. We’re living large now.

We go 3-3 in preseason, but I’m too worried. We lost our opener before rattling off 8 straight wins. I continued to ignore all the trade offers for Fat Freddie, although when Mikan was offered, I had to pause. Then I realized it was Ed Mikan. Uh, no. We finished December at 15-4, in first place.

Chicago offered me Harry Miller for Ezersky. He wasn’t playing much, so I agreed to trade back for him. Poor guy. He can’t stick with anyone. We played pretty poorly in January, and Boston passed us in the standings. Providence offered Rocha for Crocker, which I considered, but decided to stick with the rookie. He is playing well.

We limped into the all star break with a 18-13 record. Freddie and Hoffman were my only all stars this year. We continued to struggle a bit, and going into April we were in 3rd place at 30-21, behind Philadelphia and Boston. We never did get our mojo back, and we finished the season 34-26, tied with Providence for 3rd behind Philly and Boston. However, Providence won the tiebreaker, so we were out of the playoffs.

McKinney (12.2/14.0/0.9) won his 3rd straight defensive player of the year. Crocker (13.8/6.4/0.8 ) was on the rookie 2nd team. Fat Freddie (22.2/7.7/2.1) was BAA 2nd team, and Vance (13.8/5.1/1.2) was BAA 3rd team. Freddie finished second in scoring, and McKinney won yet another rebounding title. PG Bobby Wanzer from the Celtics won both MVP and Rookie of the Year. St. Louis defeated Philadephia 4-2 in the finals behind the play of C Harry Galatin to win their first title.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:32 pm 

1949 – Washington Capitols

More upheaval in the league, as Providence and Indianapolis both fold. Providence had some good players, so the dispersal draft will be good. The league added a whopping six teams (Anderson, Denver, Indianapolis, Sheboygan, Syracuse, Tri-Cities and Waterloo), and changed their name to the National Basketball Association. I’m not sure why the Indianapolis Olympians just didn’t take the folded Indianapolis Jets team, but that’s why I’m not a commissioner. Syracuse, Sheboygan, and Waterloo join the East. Also, Ben Goldfaden announced his retirement.

We have the 12th pick with only 6 available players in the dispersal draft, so we just watch Anderson take Mikan. I don’t even know where Anderson is. A quick check shows it is in Indiana.

For the third straight season, I expose Mogus and his big salary to the expansion draft. With all of these teams, I think this is the year he will be picked, but I am incorrect.

We ended up with the 12th pick in the rookie draft. Dolph Schayes went to Fort Wayne with the first pick. I end up picking 32 year old PG Al “Digger” Cervi and immediately regret it. But with the late pick, I hope it is worth the gamble.
In real life, he was hired as player coach of Syracuse. Maybe he can teach Freddie to shoot.

In the second round, I took 31 year old PF Gene England. Somehow, I don’t think drafting players on the wrong side of 30 is a winning strategy. I couldn’t find a photo, but I found this bit of awesomeness.
Heck, all these guys have kneepads even in drawings.

We are losing quite a few players to free agency this year. Torgoff, Passaglia, O’Grady, Norlander, Gillette, and Feerick are all eligible, the first three having Bird rights. I don’t have a natural shooting guard, so that is my priority. I go after 3-time all star PF Stan Miasek with a max offer, and rookie SG Bob Harrison. Harrison signs with us, but we lose Miasek to Tri-Cities. Torgoff ends up signing with Syracuse, and O’Grady signs with St. Louis. I think I overpaid for Harrison.
However, can you really overpay for someone who scores 139 points in a 139-8 win in 8th grade? I think not.

Rochester offered C Milt Schoon for Hoffman, and I accepted. His claim to fame is that he shut down Mikan in college one time. Even his hall of fame page at Valpo doesn’t have a picture, so we will just have to imagine what he looks like. I’m picturing a doofy white guy with knee pads.

We went 5-1 in the preseason, so I’m hoping we will return to the playoffs. Boston offered the Rifleman for Harry Miller, but I felt I couldn’t be involved in a third trade in two years with the poor guy. Plus, I just found out his nickname is Moose, and his son became an MMA fighter. He will stay in Washington for now. The Denver Nuggets also offered Rocha for Fat Freddie, which is probably a good trade, but I just can’t let him go. I’m thinking with my heart instead of my head now, which will probably end poorly.

We finish November 10-1 with nine home games. Cervi, who is playing shooting guard, wins both rookie and player of the month, making me eat my earlier words about him. Even as we went on the road, we continued to win, and finished December at 21-2. A loss to Chicago ended a 15 game winning streak, and also Fat Freddie, who injured his knee. We hit the all star break in first and an impressive 33-6 record. Kaftan, Crocker, Cervi, and Vance were all stars. Going into March, we were 38-8, but only 2 games in front of Baltimore. Fat Freddie came back, and immediately broke his arm. It looks like he is out for the season. With him looking to test the free agency market, he may have played his last game for Washington.

Heading into April, we were 48-11, but tied with Baltimore. Bob Harrison then tore a random ligament somewhere, and after being relatively healthy all year, the injury bug was striking. Baltimore refused to lose, and we finished the season 53-15, three games back.

McKinney (9.3/11.6/1.0) won the 4th straight defensive player of the year. They should just name the award after him. Cervi (17.9/3.6/1.5) was 2nd team defense, 1st rookie team, and 2nd team NBA. Vance (12.8/5.6/1.3) joined him on the 2nd team NBA. Cervi finished 2nd in the league in steals. McKinney and Holub finished 2nd and 3rd in blocked shots. Bobby Wanzer won his 2nd MVP, this time with Tri-Cities. Dolph Schayes won Rookie of the Year.

We got our old rivals Philadelphia in the first round. We lost game 1 at home on a late shot, and won game 2 convincingly. We got crushed in both games on the road, and were eliminated. Baltimore barely beat Philly, but cruised in the finals over Tri-Cities to win the championship. Noble Jorgenson was the playoff MVP.

I think this might have been our last legit chance to win a championship for a while. McKinney, Freddie, Kaftan, and Miller all plan to test the free agent market. Miller isn’t a big loss, Kaftan was a solid player, and McKinney and Freddie are the heart and soul of the team.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:51 am 
6th Man

Nice start.

Al Cervi was actually a very good player in the NBL. Age caught up with him by the time BAA came around. The game doesn't rate Bob Feerick very well (the guy you dropped), he was one of the top swing men in the league and 2 time All league first team. :)

Here is a photo of your first draft pick d-i-c-k Holub
Attachment:
dick_holub.jpg
dick_holub.jpg [ 21.16 KiB | Viewed 13531 times ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am 

Thanks Groobz. This is cool for me, since I really don't know much about the early days of the NBA, beyond Mikan and Schayes, and they are just now showing up. This has been pretty educational. I had never heard of Cervi before. It seems like both him and England were very good players in rival leagues, but I still wonder how many quality years I can get from these guys, especially in the era where training regimens consisted of choking down cigarettes at halftime.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:17 pm 

1950 – Washington Capitols

Once again, the league is struggling. After adding six teams last year, six teams fold (Anderson Packers, Chicago Stags, Denver Nuggets, St. Louis Bombers, Sheboygan Red Skins, and Waterloo Hawks), dropping the number of teams to 11. The good news is that there are a ton of good players in the dispersal draft. We pick 10th, and end up taking Mikan. Woohoo! Oh wait, it’s Ed Mikan, not George. Apparently George’s shadow was so large, it completely obliterated any photos of Ed.

In the rookie draft, we pick 10th, with 3 potential superstars. Indianapolis takes Cousy with the first pick. We take C Joe McNamee out of San Francisco. That’s where Freddie went to school. <sniff> A good defender with a little bit of offense.
That’s Joe on the right in this awesome picture. And Woo Woo may be the best nickname ever. I wish I could sign him.

With our second round pick, there is nothing but garbage left. Since I don’t see Woo Woo anywhere, I draft SG Joe Hutton out of Hamline. He’s a good perimeter defender, which I need, but not good at anything else.

In free agency, I offer McKinney the max, and also go after Freddie, but not as hard. I also offer a max contract to C Noble Jerguson, but I doubt he will accept. McKinney signs, making him the highest paid Capitol ever. Jerguson signs with Baltimore. Then Baltimore offers Freddie a big contract, and I choose not to match it. But Freddie knows that Washington is where he belongs, and signs with us for less money. However, these two put us over the cap by almost $4000. Mogus’ big contract will end this season, and I will try and dump Schoon on somebody.

We go 5-1 in the preseason. We go undefeated in November at 12-0. Everyone wants McNamee, and I finally trade him to Rochester for PF Bob Brannum.

I think he and McNamee are about even talent wise, and Brannum is a bit cheaper, which will help our salary cap woes. We finish December in first place at 20-3. We hit the all star break at 29-8. Freddie and Crocker both represent us at the event. We play pretty poorly in March, and are at 37-19, just 3 games up on Baltimore. We limp along to the end of the season, finishing 43-23, which wins the division, and clinches home court advantage through the playoffs.

The hardware didn’t come pouring in though. Vance (11.3/4.7/1.2) was named 1st team defense and all NBA 3rd team. Cousy won Rookie of the Year and MVP. Jack Coleman of the Celtics finally ended McKinnon’s long run of Defensive Player of the Year awards. Freddie (17.2/7.0/3.4) finshed 2nd in assists. Vance finshed 3rd in steals, with Cervi finished 4th. McKinney finished 3rd in blocked shots.

Baltimore beat Boston 3-2 to meet us in the conference finals. We won the first two at home, but lost game 3 on a last second shot, and lost Vance to a dislocated shoulder as well. He is probably lost for the season. Game 4 was another heartbreaker to a last shot as well. The blew us out at home in game 5, and also game 6. We went 0-4 without Vance. Baltimore couldn’t continue their magic, as they lost to the Hawks 4-2 behind playoff MVP Bobby Wanzer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 pm 

1951 – Unemployed

I started this season with two disappointments. First, Al Cervi announced his retirement. That is what I get for drafting a 32 year old. But even more disappointing, the Washington Capitols are no more. I guess the disappointment of the playoffs combined with the finances was enough to kill the franchise. However, my track record stood for itself, and the Philadelphia Warriors were in the market for a GM. A match made in heaven.

1951 – Philadelphia Warriors

In other news, the defending champs moved from Tri-Cities to Milwaukee. In the dispersal draft, I was able to reunite with McKinney. We had the 3rd pick in the rookie draft, but only 2 players look like future stars. SF Neil Johnson goes first to Syracuse, and we end up with the other player who looks like a future star, C Charlie “Chuck” Share.
In real life, he was the very first draft pick after the league became the NBA.

With our second round pick we took SF Nate Delong.
That’s Nate there on the right (#35). In addition to being college’s all time leading scorer at the time, it looks like he also revolutionized the “wearing a shirt under your jersey” look.

We were over $16K over the salary cap, so I now know why the previous GM was fired. Clarence Hermsen is way overpriced, making $20K this year, but will be off the books next season. Our guard situation is pretty bleak, so it looks like I can only use my Bird rights to try and sign SG Andy “Handy Andy” Phillip. He resigns with us.

Our starting lineup consists of C Share, PF Cal Christensen, SF Philip, SG Marcus Kent, and PG Darrin Bryan. Our guards are terrible. Hermsan, Charlie Black, and McKinnon are our three highest paid players, and they are all coming off the bench. I may have to take a step back this season to fix the salary cap problems. I trade Black to Fort Wayne for C Jim Springer and SG Max Zaslofsky. I then traded McKinney to Syracuse for PG D-i-c-k McGuire, SG Ray Lumpp, and C Bob Kinney. None of these players are great, but their contracts are better. Zaslofsky does replace Kent in the starting lineup though. This team is pretty bad. If I can survive, we will be out of salary cap hell in two seasons.

We go 2-4 in the preseason. 4-8 and last place at the end of November confirms my fears about our talent. Share went down with an abdominal injury. At this point, I am playing for draft position in a weak draft. Bad times.

And just like that, the team decides it wants to play better, and we are 11-12 at the end of December. Our division is New York, and then everyone else is bad, so we are in second place. In January, we remembered our strategy of tanking for draft picks. At the all star break, we were in last place again at 15-22. Zaslofsky was our only representative at the all star game. As a reward, he will get his picture shown in this thread, along with a mini-bio.
In real life, he was the youngest player ever selected to the all NBA first team, until Lebron. That’s a pretty long record.

Buoyed by his all star appearance, Max got real hot and carried the team in March. We sat at 25-32, so the high draft pick is slipping away. We finished the season 31-35, which was good enough for third place in our sorry division, and got us the last playoff spot.

Chuck (10.0/10.6/1.1) made the all rookie first team, and Max (12.7/3.1/1.7) made all NBA first team. Chuck ended up 5th in rebounds. McGuire (11.2/4.1/3.6) quietly ended up 3rd in assists, and a nice season. That earns a picture and a bio.
D-i-c-k had a famous brother, Al. And research shows he was considered one of the all-time great Knicks. I had no idea!

PG Bill Sharman won MVP for the Lakers. SF Elmer Behnke of the Bullets was Rookie of the Year. C Jack Coleman from the Celtics won his 2nd Defensive Player of the Year award.

We were matched up against Syracuse for the right to be destroyed by New York. We weren’t very competitive in the first two games on the road. A terrific effort by Chuck Share wasn’t enough as we lost game 3 in an overtime thriller. Syracuse did manage to at least win one game against New York. The Knicks finished their dominant season by beating the Lakers 4-3 behind playoff MVP Paul Arizin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

1952 – Philadelphia Warriors

For the first time, there are no dispersion or expansion drafts. I think the league is finally getting stable. We ended up picking fifth in the rookie draft. PG D-i-c-k Groat went first to Baltimore. With our first round pick we took SF Don Henriksen out of Cal. I think this kid is going to be really good. However, I couldn’t find a picture, so I’m not sure how good he was in real life. With our second round pick, we took SG D-i-c-k Surhoff. My image searching skills are getting worse, because I couldn’t find a picture of him either. However, if the name sounds familiar, it is because his son B.J. played major league baseball. Also, I am tired of typing D-i-c-k. It's a pretty common name in this era.

Because of the salary cap issues, I watched from the sidelines. Of note, George Mikan resigned with the Lakers, making him the highest paid player in the league.

Once again, we went 2-4 in the preseason. We finish November at 5-5, and for some reason, Delong is buried on the bench. Since this is a coaching decision, I have to stay out of it. We go back to being awful in December, and finish the month at 6-15. I think I am getting close to firing my coach. On January 21, with a record of 8-21, head coach Jeromy Wilson is fired. Leif Glenn, a former assistant with Boston, is named interim coach.

The team does a bit better, and sits at 12-24 at the all star break. That’s still worst in the league. Somehow, we end up with five all stars; Share, McGuire, Christensen, Kent, and Zaslofsky. At the end of March, we are sitting at 21-37, and have moved out of the cellar. We play out the string and finish 27-43. Good enough for 4th, but 11 games out of the last playoff spot.

Henriksen (8.3/6.3/1.4) made 1st team all defense and 2nd team rookie. Max (12.9/3.8/1.9) was 3rd NBA team. Dolph Schayes was MVP for Indianapolis. Gene Rhodes was Rookie of the Year for Fort Wayne. Jack Coleman won his 3rd straight Defensive Player of the Year. The Lakers got their revenge on New York, winning the championship behind George Mikan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 pm 

1953 – Philadelphia Warriors

Indianapolis folds at the beginning of the season. Also, I resign Glenn to a two year contract. He did OK as the interim coach. In the dispersal draft, we pick 3rd, and take my old friend Gene Vance.
In the rookie draft, George Yardley went first to the Bullets. I picked 3rd, and took PF Clyde Lovellette from Kansas.
Fun fact: Clyde was pretty racist, and froze out Cleo Hill so badly that his coach was fired for daring to stand up to Clyde. OK, maybe this fact isn’t so much fun.

With our second round pick, I took PG Bato Govedarica from Depaul.

For the first time, I had some room to move during free agency. I resigned C Howie Schultz, and PG Slater “Dugie” Martin, known for his defensive prowess.

The bottom line is our team is still terrible, and the owner is on the verge of firing me. I finally have the finances under control, but our team needs some work. This may be it for me. Going 1-5 in the preseason doesn’t help my confidence.

With only one home game in November, I was expecting a rough start. I was correct, as we were 3-7. December got us back to .500 at 11-11, with Clyde winning rookie of the month. We fell back into last by the all star break at 17-21, but only 1.5 games from second. Once again, New York is the class of the East. Share, Martin, and Lovellette made the all star team. February gained Clyde his second rookie of the month award, and we were in second place at 23-24. Most of March was spent on the road, and our record reflected that, at 28-34. We still had an outside shot at the playoffs, but we needed a big month. It wasn’t meant to be, and we finished 31-41, in fourth place, seven games from a playoff spot.

Martin made first all defensive team, and 3rd team NBA. Henrickson made second team defense. Lovellette made first team for the rookies, as well as all NBA first team. Yardley won MVP and Rookie of the Year. Coleman continued his defensive dominance and won yet another Defensive Player of the Year. The Pistons won their first championship over the Bullets behind playoff MVP Ray Felix. I’m curious to see if I get fired or not at the end of the season. It’s too bad too, because I think we are finally set up to start making a move.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:04 am 
Bench Warmer

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate reading this story!

Offline Profile