It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 667 Coaches
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm 

Hey guys, I wasted a lot of time on this so I thought I'd share it. I wrote up a 667-coach file with all Division I head coaches (including in-season changes at USC and South Alabama), all power conference assistants, and any other out-of-work coaches 1) with big school experience, 2) not yet retirement age (including some doubtful returnees), and 3) without major scandals that make them very unlikely hires (e.g. Kelvin Sampson).

A word or two on how I went about rating. First, I used a little different of a grading scale than the game typically creates. I went light on 100 ratings, saving them for very rare talents (such as Calipari's 100 recruit rating), and left very few ratings below 75 or 80 (including assistants. Feel free to adjust these lower if you want. I tried not to overrate them too much, but my reasoning was that most major conference assistants were comparable to a small conference head coach. There's basically no way to rank all these guys correctly, of course). I have little inside info on the coaches beyond basic fandom, so I used as much statistical data as I could stand for the four rating categories. Recruiting was based on class and player rankings, Offense and Defense on Efficiency statistics, and scouting on postseason success, team success vs. their expectations, and other biographical facts. For all of these, I tried to take into account several year where possible to avoid anomalies. Regarding coaching style, for most coaches I only rated Pace and 3 Point Rate, though I adjusted some others for well known factors (High Motion Rates for Princeton offenses, 2-3 zone for Syracuse coaches, High Press rates at Arkansas, VCU, etc.)

I also adjusted rates to fit their approximate reputations and to a lesser degree, their conferences. My basic breakdown went like this:

389-393 The Absolute Best (K, Cal, Roy, Self)
370-389 Very Successful Major Coaches (guys like Pitino, Donovan, Izzo, Ryan)
350-370 Successful Major or Excellent Mid-Majors (Drew, Beilein, Bennett)
340-350 Adaquate-to-Successful Major or Very Successful Mid-Major (Turgeon, Lavin, Jacobsen)
335-340 Successful Small-to-Mid or Unsuccessful-to-Adaquate Major (Lickliter, Keno Davis)
330-335 Unsuccessful Major, Adaquate Mid-, Good Small (DeChellis, Christian, Doherty)
320-330 Small Conference or Less Successful Mid-Major

Comments are very welcome, aside from the hey-that-rating-sucks-you-should-watch-my-alma-mater-more type.

Attachments:
Coaches.cf2.zip [21.47 KiB]
Downloaded 564 times
Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 667 Coaches
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 pm 

Kudos for this!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 667 Coaches
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:12 pm 
Bench Warmer

Are you able to add this file to the game in mid season without destroying any of the accumulated data for that season?

Offline Profile